Gribbles Veterinary Privacy Statement
This privacy statement explains how Gribbles Veterinary and Gribbles Scientific (“Gribbles”) manages the personal information we collect. Gribbles is a part of the Asia Pacific Healthcare Group (APHG), which also incorporates Labtests, Wellington SCL, Northland Pathology, Southern Community Labs, Medlab South, Medlab Hamilton and Taranaki Pathology Services. APHG provides group information management services, so when you deal with any of the group you are also dealing with APHG.
Gribbles is New Zealand’s leading provider of veterinary diagnostic testing and pathology services, with laboratories strategically located in Auckland, Hamilton, Palmerston North, Christchurch and Dunedin. We collect personal information about the veterinary staff, pet owners and others who use our services. We take our role as a custodian of this personal information seriously and know that privacy is an important component of consumer and provider trust in our services.
We may update this privacy statement from time to time, to reflect changes to privacy law or our business operations. This privacy statement was last updated in September 2019.
Collecting your information
We need to collect and generate some personal information about you to deliver services. We always ensure that we collect only the personal information we really need to do our job and where we can we make sure you can deal with us anonymously (for example when you make general enquiries about our services).
Information we collect about you to deliver services
We may collect the following information about you when you use Gribbles services, including lab test, consumables and training or CPD services:
- Practice and role (where you are a vet customer)
- Address (postal and email)
- Telephone numbers
- Fax number
- Usernames and passwords, where you use our eResults viewer
- Farm Block (where required to identify a farm)
- Financial information, including credit card and bank account details
- Description of services provided, including the date of those services
- Cost of services
- Name of animal (which we use as a reference for the services)
- Other information relevant to providing laboratory services to you
Information we collect about you when you visit our website
We may provide third parties with aggregated statistics about website visitors, traffic patterns and related information that we have generated using the cookies mentioned above. We do not link the information to a specific user.
Our website may contain links to websites operated by third parties. We have no control over the privacy practices of these third parties, so we would recommend that you read the privacy statements of those third parties before using their websites or services.
Using your personal information to deliver services
We use your personal information primarily to deliver the services you request from us. Where we need to use your information for wider purposes, such as improving our business or meeting our reporting requirements, we usually anonymise it first.
How we use your information
We will use your information to:
- understand your needs so we can deliver the right services to you
- complete the services you need, including registering requests, sending results and managing orders
- contact you to provide advice or information in relation to the services requested
- otherwise administer and manage the services requested, including managing any debts related those services
- improve the quality of all Gribbles services
- meet our reporting requirements, including to our funding organisations such as the Ministry for Primary Industries (“MPI”)
- market or promote our services (with your consent), including contacting you about services we think you might be interested in (though you can opt out of this at any time)
When we share your information
As a responsible custodian of personal information, we take data security very seriously. We will only share personal information in the ways set out here and if we need to share information for wider statistical or research purposes, we will aggregate and anonymise it first.
We may disclose information about you to:
- our funding agencies, including MPI
- our trusted service providers, including data storage providers
- third party auditors or accreditors, as part of ongoing quality assurance activities
- government or law enforcement agencies where required by law
- a court or tribunal where necessary for the purposes of legal proceedings
- debt collection agencies where required to recover a debt
- agencies responsible for managing public health and safety or the health and safety of our staff and contractors
We operate and communicate with organisations throughout New Zealand and overseas, and so we may be required to disclose personal information to agencies outside New Zealand. Gribbles will only disclose personal information to a country which has a substantially similar privacy regime in place.
Storing and safeguarding your information
Keeping it safe
Gribbles stores personal information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. The security of personal information is important us and we take all reasonable steps to protect it from loss, misuse or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Our security safeguards include:
- Safe data: All the information we hold is protected with various layers of security
- Safe transmission: We encrypt information before we share it or only share it over secure network connections
- Safe systems: Our systems are protected by complex firewalls that strictly manage access and defend our data and servers
- Access controls: We carefully manage staff access to our systems and data, using state of the art user validation and access controls
We retain personal information only for as long as we have a lawful purpose to use it and we securely destroy it when we no longer need it.
Contacting us about your information
To make a privacy request, ask about our privacy practices, or update your information, please:
- call us on 09 574 7399
- email us at email@example.com
- write to us at The Privacy Officer, PO Box 12049 Penrose, Auckland
Accessing or correcting your information
You have the right to ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you, or to correct it if you think it’s wrong (in fact, we really want you to tell us if you think it’s wrong).
We will need to verify your identity before releasing information to you or correcting information, so please be patient and provide us with the information we need to do this.
We will be as open as we can with you, but if we need to withhold any information from you – for example where information is legally privileged, commercially sensitive or also relates to someone else – we will explain why. Where you have requested information that is expensive to reproduce we may charge you a reasonable fee for this. Again, we will explain this to you.
Complaints and queries about our privacy practices
If you have any concerns about the way we’ve collected, used or shared your personal information, or you think we have refused a request for information wrongly, then please let us know and we’ll try our best to resolve them.
If we can’t resolve your concerns, you can also make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz
- writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143