In conjunction with Boehringer Ingelheim, we are very happy to be able to provide free equine ACTH testing to clients from 2 March—30 April 2020.
What we need:
· EDTA samples collected per the protocol below
· A completed ACTH voucher from Boehringer Ingelheim—these can be obtained from the vet only section of the www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.nz website. Simply follow the instructions provided and download your voucher prior to collecting the blood samples.
Please note: Vouchers are to be sent along with your samples to the laboratory—free testing will NOT be possible without a voucher.
· Collect an EDTA blood sample any time of the day.
· The sample must be chilled within 3 hours of collection, preferably immediately after collection.
· If possible separate the plasma from the red cell pack. This can be done by centrifugation.
· Freeze the separated plasma and send to the lab with gel ice packs.
· If separation is not possible, wrap the chilled EDTA sample lightly in cotton wool and send with gel ice packs.
NOTE: It is very important that unseparated samples do not become frozen as the resulting haemolysis will invalidate the test results.
Supplies of chiller ice packs and bio-bottles can be obtained from your local Gribbles Veterinary laboratory.
General information about when this test is indicated:
Endogenous ACTH has largely superseded the overnight dexamethasone suppression test as the screening test of choice for the diagnosis of pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction (PPID, also known as equine Cushing’s syndrome). Testing can be performed at any time of the year although test performance is highest in the autumn. Both non-PPID and PPID horses display higher ACTH concentrations in the autumn (March, April, May) compared with other times of the year but the response is more exaggerated in PPID horses. A seasonal reference interval appropriate for the time of year must be used. The same test can be used in donkeys.
Please feel free to contact Boehringer Ingelheim on 0800 800 822 to learn more about this exciting offer and how you can manage PPID using PRASCEND®.